In life, many things depend on timing. A good timing often makes some decision right. Also, bad timing can be a great disadvantage. Although the moving business never stops, and there is no really bad moment for relocation, choosing the right moment helps a lot. When is the best time to move to Minnesota, you wonder. Very often, the best time is now, but let’s consider all factors that could affect your move.
Interesting facts about Minnesota
- The state gets its name from the Minnesota River. The word “Minnesota” comes from Sioux Indian word “Minisota,” which means “sky-tinted” or “cloudy water.”
- The Twin Cities area is home to one of the highest concentrations of Fortune 500 Companies in the country. Some of them are Target, Best Buy, General Mills, and Land O’Lakes.
- Bob Dylan, Prince, The Replacements, Hüsker Dü, and many other famous musicians come from Minnesota.
- Former professional wrestler Jesse “The Body” Ventura was Minnesota’s 38th governor from 1999 to 2003.
- Minnesota is proud of its literary history. Sinclair Lewis, Tim O’Brien, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Garrison Keillor, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Neil Gaiman are just some of the great writers who were born here.
- The world’s biggest ball of twine made by single person sits in Darwin, Minnesota. In August every year, Darwin holds a “Twine Ball Day” to celebrate the 17,400-pound creation.
- Many famous show biz figures like Judy Garland, Terry Gilliam, Chris Pratt, and Winona Ryder were born in Minnesota. Also, Ryder is actually named after the town of Winona, Minnesota.
- Having more miles of bike trails than any other state, Minnesota is a cyclist’s paradise.
- Nicknames for Minnesota are The Gopher State, the North Star State, the Bread and Butter State, and the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
Choose the best day to move
There are some general rules, you should always have in mind. For example, weekends are busier for movers, and so is the first day of the month. This is because the leases end and renters are looking to make a quick move. If you have an opportunity to choose the day you move out, that is a great advantage. Because avoiding those days will give you a better chance of getting all the reservations you need on short notice.
Choosing the Best Month to Move
If you are able to plan your relocation ahead, do so. The fact is that moving services and packing supplies can be cheaper during some times of the year, and more expensive during the busy seasons. In the moving business, the period from the end of May till September is often the busiest. The most moving activity usually occurs during late May and early June. Then is the long Memorial Day weekend combined with the graduation season during a period of pleasant weather. If you can avoid it, you will probably want to choose another time to move.
As you can imagine, the weather is also a serious consideration. Winters can be very cold in Minnesota, and you can expect snowfall too. You will not have much competition for a moving truck in deep winter. But you probably do not want to risk a sudden snowstorm. With temperatures ranging from the low 30s to low 40s, winter moving can be rough. In the case that you have no option other than a winter move, Movers Woodbury MN will urge you to be prepared. If you are moving in these conditions, make sure that your new home is already warm. Also, you need to close doors while your movers are going in and out of your home. This way, you will keep the heat inside.
And if your move involves delivering some of your possessions to the storage in Woodbury for example, that may be an important factor in your decision-making process. The period from May to September is also the busiest season for storage unit rentals, and rates tend to increase accordingly. However, some storage units allow renters to lock in rates for the long term. Therefore, if you are able to begin your storage during the month of November, rather than a more expensive month like January, you can make quite a savings in rental fees.
The best time to move in Minnesota
Perhaps the very best time to move to Minnesota is the month of May. This month sees an average temperature of 69 degrees Fahrenheit, making it absolutely perfect weather for moving. Typically there is no snow, no rain, just bright, cool, sunny sky. It is also the one month when most students are out of school, making it ideal for families who are looking to move to Minnesota. Most importantly, if you are relocating with family, you want to keep your kids safe while moving. Balancing heavy boxes while chasing toddlers down the icy street can be quite a pickle. Therefore, if not May, choose some date during the early spring or autumn, if you have an opportunity to choose, of course. But the fact is that only you can determine when is the best time to move in Minnesota. Because the most important factor is the personal one.
Enjoy your new life in Minnesota
Minnesota offers amazing scenery and a high living standard. There is no doubt you will be charmed by the state’s natural beauty and its laid-back lifestyle, even if the winters take a little getting used to. Try to find a place that suits best your needs. Search for top cities in Minnesota for young adults or for families, depending on your age and wishes. But the fact is, that you can’t go wrong whichever place you choose. Most importantly, choose the best time to move in Minnesota and choose the best possible movers you can find. In the right hands, relocation can be a piece of cake. Good luck!