Moving an entire home or an office can turn out to be quite pricey. Therefore people often think their only options are to either break the bank or their backs. Moving on your own as well as finding reliable professionals to help you relocate both have its pros and cons. One of the things that can help you make the decision is to evaluate the cost of DIY vs hiring movers. Therefore you can evaluate which option is the best for you.
How much does it cost to hire a mover?
When planning a relocation it might seem at a first glance that moving DIY style may help you save money. However, having a professional mover to plan and conduct each step of your relocation can help you save much valuable time and help you organize a last minute move. Therefore, when evaluating the cost of DIY vs hiring movers, make sure you pay attention to all of the pros and cons.
An important thing to keep in mind when calculating the cost of hiring a mover is that quotes you get from different companies can vary. Even though saving money might be one of the top priorities, make sure you avoid any moving scams by doing a detailed checkup on the movers’ reputability. Fraudulent movers can use extremely low quotes to get prospective clients to contact them. Therefore, make sure you double check the information they provide you with. Also, ask detailed questions about the services the quotes includes. This way you will be able to avoid any hidden fees.
In order to calculate the cost as accurate as possible, make sure you evaluate the size of your move in advance. The best way to do so is to create a packing plan. Therefore, you will know exactly which of the items you want to relocate to your new home. Start by putting aside the items you want to sell, donate or recycle. Keep in mind that by relocating fewer items you will be able to cut the moving expenses. Additionally, you will also be able to declutter your new home and make room for new furniture and redecorate.
Calculating the cost of hiring a mover
After creating the packing plan you will be able to ask a mover for an accurate estimate. Many reliable moving companies like City Moving and Storage Minnesota have simple multi-step quote forms on their website. Fill them out in order to get a quick estimate of your expenses emailed to you the same day. Therefore, you can start creating your moving budget. Here are a few important things to consider when calculating the cost of hiring a mover:
- Evaluate the moving quote. You can either use full moving services or tailor the plan to your needs. Make sure you evaluate which services the quote actually include and whether you need them.
- Decide whether you need to hire professional packers. Professional movers can also offer services of professional packing. Even though having skilled and experienced packers to help you with moving your valuable belongings might make the move less stressful, you can save money by packing yourself. Keep in mind that packing services usually include the cost of specialized packing material as well.
- Will you be insured during the move? Moving companies are obliged to offer a reimbursement option. However, you should consider additional insurance options. Make sure you ask your mover whether they have any additional insurance solutions and add the cot to your budget.
- Do you need storage? Having some extra space to keep your belongings safe and secure during the move, might help you relocate faster. Keep in mind that some of your items might require specialized storage conditions. Artwork, documents, paintings, and antiques should be stored in safe and climate controlled MN storage units. Therefore, make sure you ad the cost of the storage to your budget as well.
Important things to keep in mind when hiring a mover
Make sure you check for any hidden fees or expenses. Inform your mover about all important information. Whether you are having a short distance or an interstate move, the relocation company you hire might have to charge you more for the additional services that come up along the way. Therefore, evaluate in advance whether you need any extra help with reassembling your furniture or moving heavy items like pianos.
Keep in mind that the distance of your move will also influence the price. When moving across the country hiring licensed long distance movers Minneapolis will ensure you relocate hassle free. With a professional on your side to help and advise you along the way, you can relax and focus on planning your new life.
The cost of moving on your own
The best way to compare the cost of DIY vs hiring movers is to do a personalized calculation for both options. Calculate the expenses of a DIY move by following a few simple steps:
- Find an affordable and reliable truck rental company.
- Calculate the cost of the packing material you need. You might be able to save money by gathering free packing supplies. Ask local businesses whether they can provide you with free cardboard boxes. Also, make sure you visit websites like Craiglist, which can be a great source of free or cheap packaging. Keep in mind that you should invest in some quality packing supplies in order to keep your valuables and breakables safe during the move.
- Can you friends and family help? Evaluate whether you have the support to do the heavy lifting on your own. Make sure you gather moving equipment and protective gear for everyone. Therefore you will able to avoid any moving day injuries and relocate safely.
Cost of DIY vs hiring movers – make sure you don’t forget anything
When creating the budget and evaluating the cost of DIY vs hiring movers, you need to make sure you pay attention to all of the additional expenses as well. In order to make sure you have listed all of the expenses double check the list. How much do you need to pay for the gas to travel to your new home? Or would you prefer traveling by plane? Do you need to book a hotel room to make along the way? Do you plan on stopping and visiting any attractions on your way to your new home? By adding all of the expenses you will ensure you stay on the budget, evaluate the cost of DIY vs hiring movers, and move easily and avoid the relocation stress.